Friday, January 7, 2011

My Resolution

I am not one to make yearly resolutions but I think that I need to rekindle my love for books. Since Fully Booked was on sale, I decided to splurge on books. I want to do a project. I haven’t thought of a name for it yet but I have to finish one book in one week, 2 weeks max. It’s like project pan but for books.  (Got any suggestions?)

If I don’t finish a book within 2 weeks (unless the book is really thick), a shopping ban will be imposed. No buying clothes, makeup, shoes, etc. I can only buy necessities such as soap, shampoo, tissue, you get the drift. I will not go shopping until I finish the book. People close to me would know that this will really hurt. I.really.love.shopping (but not on Becky Bloomwood levels, mind you).  I’m not getting any younger and I need to exercise my brain. I want my life to be a continuous learning process. I want to discover new things, new worlds through books. I've also noticed that I've been spending too much time in front of the computer. I need to start controlling that. I have nothing against computers and FB, etc. but I just think that I need to spend time on other things. 

When I was younger, I would devour books. I would finish 2-3 books in one day. My grandfather had an enormous collection of espionage books and I enjoyed them immensely. My mom is also a voracious reader so after she finishes a book, she gives it to me to read and then we discuss it and she asks me questions about it. That is how I improved my vocabulary and learned to ask why.

Here is my reading list:

books to read, by bitsandtreats

I’m currently reading Shopaholic & Sister. I will be able to finish it tonight. I am switching this with The Bhagavad-Gita from time to time so I guess that’s next on my list. I’ve already started reading Belle de Jour and I think I’ve already read a quarter of it. I read Like the Flowing River by Paulo Coelho when I need inspiration.

I guess I need to add the complete collection of Sherlock Holmes novels to this list. Sherlock Holmes is my favorite detective and I’ve read a lot of his stories but I want to read them all! So, I think after this pile, I have to dust my copy and start reading on the stories I missed out on. My copy dates back to my grade school years. Hopefully it’s still okay.

Here’s what I bought today, all at 20% discount:

assorted books from fully booked, by bitsandtreats

1. Sex and the City
2. No Reservations
3. The Castle in the Pyrenees
4. The Devil Wears Prada
5. The Name of the Rose
6. The Wedding
7. Outliers
8. Wicked

Of course I’m already familiar with the film copies of Sex and the City and The Devil Wears Prada but I think you would agree with me when I say that the story in the books is much better than the movie. I want to read the written versions of these stories.

No Reservations is a good coffee table book. I was looking for Kitchen Confidential but it’s out of stock. I think I should put The Secret to good use again. I’ve already started reading No Reservations earlier when I was hanging out at Sango in Powerplant.

Jostein Gaarder is one of my favorite authors. Too bad we don’t have his complete collection of novels here in the country. The Castle in the Pyrenees is his latest. Argh moment: I bought the hardbound copy for around 500 bucks at Fully Booked GB. When I went to Fully Booked Powerplant tonight, I saw that they already have the paperback edition for only Php299 plus 20% discount. Aaaaaargh!!! Well, at least I got the pretty book.

Would you believe, I have never read a Nicholas Sparks novel! I’ve only seen them on the screen. Or maybe I have, I just can’t remember. But I’m pretty sure that The Wedding is my first Nicholas Sparks book.

Wicked is something I’ve been meaning to read since forever. Outliers is a very good book. Actually, all Malcolm Gladwell books are. Our pastor had nothing but raves for Outliers so I just had to buy it.

Umberto Eco is another author that I am fascinated with. I have Focault’s Pendulum in my library since I was in college but never found the time to finish it. I think it’s also because it was too heavy for me back then. It was very hard to read and I had to have a dictionary beside me whenever I read it. I think I am mature enough to give this another go. After I finish that, I will read The Name of the Rose. There’s also another Umberto Eco book that I like. It’s entitled Baudolino. It used to be available at National Bookstore. I haven’t seen it for years now. If you happen to see this book, I would appreciate a heads up.

So this is my project. I will post my reading status from time to time so that you guys will know where I am. You can also serve as my Book Police.

Oh, and just to end this post, I also got this:

black eiffel tower charm, by bitsandtreats

Just because I like collecting anything that is/has the Eiffel Tower or something that reminds me of Paris . I will go to Paris one day and nothing will stop me.

Wish me luck with my reading project!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails