Skip to main content

Connect. Communicate. Conquer

I have a story to tell.

A few months ago, one of my best friends came to me for help. Her 18-year-old sister has lumps in her breast. They went to the hospital to get checked and they were referred to a surgeon. Being a person who slices people open for a living, the surgeon immediately told the little sister that she needs an operation. No tests, no biopsies, just straight away operate. I told my friend we will get a second opinion.

Days went on and little sister would always cry because she was really scared. She said the pain in her breast was too much and of course, she was thinking about breast cancer. We did a lot of consoling/counseling as she was so depressed. We had to wait until payday to bring the little sister to the doctor so each day that passed was very agonizing for her. I brought them to my gynecologist because I was sure she could cheer little sister up.

My doctor immediately made the little sister feel at ease. She said that it’s probably nothing, that it’s normal for women to have lumps in their breasts from time to time. They didn’t have a  history of breast cancer in the family but they have a history of lumps in the breast which are harmless. My doctor did an exam and found another lump in the other breast. I think she had a total of 3 lumps on both breasts.

My doctor prescribed pain killers and told her that if the pain still bothers her after 6 months then she should come back. And because there was very little that the doctor did, she waived the fees. I soooo love my doctor. She’s the best, I tell you. Very nice, very sweet.

I think the 6 months have elapsed and I don’t hear any complaints from my friend.

I think you know what I’m trying to say here. Now that communication and technology are on an all time high, women of all ages should be well informed about issues affecting them especially with regard to their health and well being. If this happened about 15 years ago, our poor little sister would have been cut open already. But we know better now. We have an infinite source of knowledge at our fingertips. We can research about diseases and cures. We can research about our health and wellness and how to prevent illnesses. We can learn from the experiences of others.

We are all glad that we asked for a second opinion. The smile on her face after the exam was priceless. She was relaxed and calm and smiling and she was back to being a teenager once again.

I absolutely believe Estee Lauder’s slogan – Connect. Communicate. Conquer Breast Cancer. Click on the banner above and take your pledge. Visit the local website to learn more. Be a fan of their facebook page. Us women should stick together. And we, should have our regular checkups.

If you feel lumps in your breast, see your doctor today. Don’t be scared. The gift of peace of mind at the end of it all is surely worth it.

Take your pledge today. I did.

Comments

  1. Had there been a like button, I would have liked this a hundred times! Great message!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Soft Luxe Staycations: Binondo Series - The Great Buddha, Curated Purchases from Eng Bee Tin, and Last Thoughts About Ramada

After buying a lot of stuff on the first floor, we headed upstairs to eat a light lunch. Mom was getting hungry. My son and I just ate, but we said that we will accompany her and will just order something light. 

All About Eyes

Lately I’m finding myself obsessed with skin care products, prevention in particular. I'm not getting younger and nobody likes lines and wrinkles, right? I should have done this in my early twenties but those were hard times and we didn’t have enough to support our daily lives, let alone vanity splurges. So now, I’m on hyper mode. I did not place any expectations on this product. I’ve had it with products claiming they can do this and that. I just tried the product thinking that if it works then great, if not then I’ll just find a new one. I wasn’t expecting a dramatic change but 2 weeks into using this product, I noticed that my under eye area has become lighter. The lines are also not as deep as they were before I used this product. I stopped using the Garnier eye products because I’m allergic to them so that means I’m not using any whitening products for that area. I am truly impressed with this product. I didn’t take a before and after photo as I wasn’t expecting this at ...

Alone Time

My good friend Kitten and I were supposed to go out yesterday but she had some unexpected things come up. I needed to buy some stuff as I am packing for a trip and so I went alone. I actually enjoy going out alone as much as going out with girlfriends or MB. It gives me a chance to eat whatever I like to eat and explore new restos. It’s also nice to take my time when shopping. After paying my bills, I had a late lunch at Toast Box: I love Hainanese Chicken. I sometimes cook this dish but it’s too tedious so I settle for eating out. I’m so happy that there are now restaurants that serve proper Hainanese Chicken. Well, except that one above was sooooo bloody. It was swimming in blood when I pulled the meat apart so I had it changed. You know what Gordon Ramsay says, bloody chicken is poisonous. This is the second time I ate at Toast Box and in both times, the chicken was so bloody. After lunch, I started shopping. First stop was Beabi where I bought these: The Sakura thermos on...