Skip to main content

Spa Night in Baguio: Esfolio Pearl Essence Mask Review + My Wind-Down Beauty Ritual


This is part of my Baguio 2025 series. 

When I pack for Baguio, I don’t just bring sweaters —I bring sheet masks. A girl’s gotta stay glowing while braving fog and market runs, right?

After a long day of exploring Baguio's markets and museums, I always carve out a little me-time to wind down. No fancy spa needed — just a comfy bed, clean skin, and a beauty mask I packed for the trip.


For this trip, I brought two: one was the Pearl Essence Mask Sheet by Esfolio. I got it randomly from either Watsons or Shopwise (yes, Shopwise has surprisingly good skincare finds!). It promised a lot: pearl extract, green tea, ginseng, and even portulaca extract—fancy names, but would it soothe my MCAS-prone, rosacea-reactive skin? I also picked it because the mermaid design was too cute to resist, and I thought the pearl essence might calm my redness from the heat and altitude.

🌬️ Wind-down Ritual:

After a long day of walking and exploring, I washed my face, skipped the toner (my skin is already too dry), and went straight for that mask. I closed my eyes for a full 15 minutes - no screens, no noise. Just me, breathing in the cool Baguio air and letting the day settle.  The fit was decent, but the serum felt... thick. My skin didn’t absorb it as easily as others I’ve tried. It also didn’t calm the redness around my cheeks the way some masks do.


👎🏼 Verdict: Not horrible, but not a holy grail either. It didn’t break me out (thank God), but it didn’t wow me either. I felt a bit sticky after, and I had to rinse gently with water—my usual practice for masks. I still left a bit of the essence for absorption, but my skin seemed hesitant.


🌸 Hero ingredients (according to the label):


Pearl extract (158ppm) – for brightening and softening


Green tea (Camellia Sinensis Fruit Extract) – antioxidant


Portulaca Oleracea Extract – anti-inflammatory


Panax Ginseng Root Extract – revitalizing



📍 Made in Korea, distributed by Svan Cosmetics (Cebu)


Will I use it again? I’ll give it another go soon—maybe my skin was just too tired that day. But for now, it’s a soft meh. Stay tuned for my Molang Honey Mask review—that one’s just too cute not to talk about. 🐰🍯


Update July 5, 2025

I tried it again a few days ago using the pill mask (compression mask) that I popped in the foil pack. There was less product this time, so I had to dab some water to make the mask stick to my face. But, wow! When I removed the mask, the redness on my face calmed down! And it's almost my period. My face usually screams with my hormones around this time. So, I guess, less is more for me. 

I also didn't remove the remaining product on my face with water as there was a small amount left and it was diluted. It was perfect. It kept my face soft for the rest of the day. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Soul Notes: For Your Journal Tonight

Come sit with me for a while. I have my journal open, and tonight I’ve been thinking about something I suspect I do more often than I realize. I turn healing into another thing I need to accomplish. I want to know when I’ll be over something. When I’ll stop thinking about it. When something that hurt will finally stop hurting. When I’ll feel like myself again. And somewhere along the way, healing quietly becomes another deadline. Another invisible date on a calendar. Another thing I can somehow be late for. But maybe healing doesn’t work particularly well under project management. Maybe there are things I will understand quickly and things I’ll have to revisit again and again. Maybe I’ll feel completely fine one day and unexpectedly tender the next. That doesn’t mean I’ve gone backwards. It means I’m still moving through it. I remember one day, many years ago, when I had fibromyalgia. I lived in constant pain. I just couldn’t get a good day. And then one day, in the office...

Used to the Last Drop: The Ones I’d Already Told You About

  There’s something particularly satisfying about finishing a product you’ve already written about. Not testing it. Not forming first impressions. Not wondering whether I’ll still like it three weeks from now. Finished. My Molang Honey sheet masks and this body scrub both made it all the way to the end. (Finally for the Molang sheet masks, right?) I’ve reviewed both before, so I won’t review them all over again here. But perhaps using something until there is nothing left to use is its own kind of review. Beauty products come through my bathroom rather frequently. Some are lovely for a week. Some get pushed to the back of a shelf. Some simply stop working for me. And then there are the ones that quietly disappear because I kept reaching for them. Maybe an empty container is the shortest review of all. I liked it enough to finish it. If you want to read my thought about these products, just type them on my search bar. —- With elegance and quiet fire, Lady E Founder, Glow by Lady E...

The Pleasure of Leaving It Behind

  I really liked this dress. Enough that I stood there looking at it for far longer than necessary, having that familiar little debate with myself. It was black. Simple. Very me. I could already imagine how I would wear it. There was only one problem. The fabric was thick. And perhaps in another climate, or another version of my life, that wouldn’t matter very much. But I live in the Philippines. We’re going through El Niño. Heat and I are already not particularly good friends, and my histamine sensitivity has made me even less willing to wear something that might leave me uncomfortable simply because it looks good. Still, I stood there. Because sometimes walking away from something we like is strangely difficult, even when we already know it isn’t right for us. We start negotiating. Maybe I’ll only wear it indoors. Maybe the fabric isn’t that thick. Maybe I’ll regret leaving it behind. Then I realized I was trying awfully hard to convince myself to buy something my body had alrea...