Skip to main content

Cheap Choices, Expensive Consequences

 


It didn’t look like a big decision.



Just paint.

Watercolors. 


Something small enough to say,

this should be fine.


I didn’t think about it too much.


Didn’t analyze.

Didn’t pause the way I usually do.


I chose quickly.

Because I was missing these colors. 


The price was okay. 

Cheap compared to my usual watercolors. 


Cheap and convenient because I can choose the exact colors.


I believed that this will work.


And at first, nothing seemed wrong.


Until I started.


The paint didn’t respond.



It didn’t flow.

Didn’t soften.

Didn’t listen.


And suddenly—


something that should have felt effortless


felt resistant.


Heavy.

Frustrating.

Off.

I tried again.

Maybe it’s just me. 

Still the same result. 


So I stopped.


Not because I didn’t want to paint.


But because something in me refused to keep going

when everything felt misaligned.


And that’s when it became clear.


It wasn’t just the paint.


It was the decision.


The quiet moment where I said yes

to something that didn’t meet me.


A cheap choice.


Not in price.


But in standard.

In attention.

In alignment.


And the consequence?


Frustration.


It cost me momentum.

It cost me ease.

It cost me that soft, uninterrupted flow

I’ve come to recognize as truth.


I didn’t lose my ability.

This is what it looks like when it holds


I used something that couldn’t perform the way it was meant to. 


And that changed everything.


Because it made me see—


how often this happens in ways that don’t look obvious.


Choosing what’s available

instead of what’s aligned.


Choosing what’s good enough

instead of what actually supports you.


So I told myself - this will do.


And then wondered

why everything feels harder than it should.


Why things don’t move the way they used to.


Why something that once felt natural

suddenly feels forced.


It’s not always you.


Sometimes—


it’s the environment you placed yourself in.


The standard you lowered without realizing.


The quiet compromise you made

just to move things along.


And the cost?


You feel it later.


In the hesitation.

In the friction.

In the way you slowly pull back

from something you once loved.


Not because you’ve changed.


But because something no longer fits.


I see it differently now.


I don’t ask if something will work.


I ask—


will this support me?


Will it hold what I’m trying to create?


Will it meet me where I am?


Because I’ve learned this the hard way.


I got singles because I didn’t want to invest in a bigger palette. 

I only needed those four colors. 

I thought this would be a cheaper route. 
(I was told this is a good brand, but I think the stock might be old as the parchment was already stuck to the paint when I opened it.
It took me a while to scrape it off.)


Cheap choices

don’t always look cheap.


But the consequences?


They always show up.


Quietly.

Consistently.


Until you finally decide—


to choose better.


And now, I’m choosing better. 


—-


With elegance and quiet fire,
Lady E


Founder, Glow by Lady E 
An editorial space for stories, art, and intentional living



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Soft Luxe Staycations: Binondo Series - The Great Buddha, Curated Purchases from Eng Bee Tin, and Last Thoughts About Ramada

After buying a lot of stuff on the first floor, we headed upstairs to eat a light lunch. Mom was getting hungry. My son and I just ate, but we said that we will accompany her and will just order something light. 

All About Eyes

Lately I’m finding myself obsessed with skin care products, prevention in particular. I'm not getting younger and nobody likes lines and wrinkles, right? I should have done this in my early twenties but those were hard times and we didn’t have enough to support our daily lives, let alone vanity splurges. So now, I’m on hyper mode. I did not place any expectations on this product. I’ve had it with products claiming they can do this and that. I just tried the product thinking that if it works then great, if not then I’ll just find a new one. I wasn’t expecting a dramatic change but 2 weeks into using this product, I noticed that my under eye area has become lighter. The lines are also not as deep as they were before I used this product. I stopped using the Garnier eye products because I’m allergic to them so that means I’m not using any whitening products for that area. I am truly impressed with this product. I didn’t take a before and after photo as I wasn’t expecting this at ...

When You Need a Tiny Reset (Glow Cards Are Here)

The shade is actually a dusty mauve or muted orchid. It looks blue on the image, but it's not blue.  There are days when I don’t need a full day off — I just need a moment. A tiny reset. A quiet pause in the swirl of noise. That’s how Glow Cards were born.