Skip to main content

What’s in My Summer Survival Tote: Everything I Carry to Stay Cool, Calm, and Unbothered in the Heat

 


No, it’s not the same post. I just used the same cover photo. 😁

Let’s call it a series on travel and packing. 

So, many of you ladies know that Manila summers are brutal and they’re so hard on me and my son. But mostly me, because of my sensitivities. 

I decided to upgrade my tote for the time being. I normally bring smaller totes, but this is a situation that needs a big bag. 

The other day after piano class, we ate at Old Town Coffee and my son got sick from the iced tea. Aside from that, the heat did a number on him. 

Fortunately, I was prepared. I reached into my bag and got a cool fever strip. 



There are so many ways you can this aside from its actual use for fevers. I use it for hot days to avoid heat exhaustion for my son. I also use this to prevent motion sickness when we’re traveling in a bus to and from Baguio. 



After placing a strip on his forehead, I got our Evian spray out and sprayed it on his face, neck, nape, arms, and legs. Good thing he was wearing shorts that day. 


I also sprayed on my neck, nape, and arms too. 



Of course, rain or shine, summer or not, we always have a bottle or two of iced water with us. I told my son to take a sip. When someone is overheating, it’s important that they only take small sips of water in order to not overwhelm their system. 



I also whipped out this fan. This was a gift from NBDB for my workshop during PBF. 

My son got really sick that day, but at least we made it home before he vomited, mainly because I was able to make him comfortable while outside. I was able to delay the inevitable for a few minutes, so that he was comfortable to purge at home. 

My other summer must-haves are:




My sunglasses. I’m sensitive to light, so when we need to go to several places, I bring this. 



My ever-so-reliable umbrella from Watsons Baguio. I know for some cultures, umbrellas are only used in the rain, but here, we use it to shield ourselves from the sun, too. 


And lastly, for long trips, I bring this. Just add water, shake and you get an instant cool wrap. This was a life saver one day when my son was younger, on the way to BGC. We were stuck in traffic, the heat was so scorching that the aircon couldn’t keep up and my son started having symptoms of heat exhaustion. We parked at the nearest gas station and I brought one of these out and poured some water in it and placed it on my son’s forehead, rotating between his neck and nape, too. 

After a few minutes, my son felt better and we were able to go to our destination. 



These are my summer survival items. Do you have other summer must-haves to stay cool and calm during summer, Glow Girls? I’d love to know them! Share in the comments below. 


---


'Til my next post,
Stay soft. Stay strong. Stay Glowing.
LET'S GLOW.

With elegance and quiet fire, 

Lady E

Exhibitor and speaker at the Philippine Book Festival 2026
💌 Connect with me on  Insta: behind-the-scenes, daily sparks, and more.
📚 Created by a registered NBDB author, these children’s books and homeschool workbooks are made to help your child learn with ease.
💻 Grab your copies now on Gumroad

 🍽 Craving comfort food stories and recipes? Visit my food blog: Lady E Eats
🛒 🎁 Looking for  learning materials, school supplies,  and thoughtful finds? Visit my Shopee: Isaac's Gift Shop
💫 I write, I cook, I create — with love, always.

✈️ Our Binondo staycation was featured by Ramada by Wyndham Manila Central! Read about our Soft Luxe experience here 💖


 P. S.

Don't forget to get your Glow Cards!

👉 Grab your Glow Cards here – available now on Gumroad

👉 Get your very own Pantry Ledger here.

🤝 For Collaborations & Features

If you’re a brand, PR agency, or fellow creative who believes in adding beauty, meaning, and intention to everyday life, I’d love to hear from you. Whether it’s a product you’d like me to try, a place you’d love me to experience, or a story waiting to be told — let’s create something lovely together.

📩 Send me a message on:

✨ Instagram

💖 Facebook


Or simply leave a comment and I’ll get back to you as soon as I can.








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Soft Luxe Staycations: Binondo Series - The Great Buddha, Curated Purchases from Eng Bee Tin, and Last Thoughts About Ramada

After buying a lot of stuff on the first floor, we headed upstairs to eat a light lunch. Mom was getting hungry. My son and I just ate, but we said that we will accompany her and will just order something light. 

All About Eyes

Lately I’m finding myself obsessed with skin care products, prevention in particular. I'm not getting younger and nobody likes lines and wrinkles, right? I should have done this in my early twenties but those were hard times and we didn’t have enough to support our daily lives, let alone vanity splurges. So now, I’m on hyper mode. I did not place any expectations on this product. I’ve had it with products claiming they can do this and that. I just tried the product thinking that if it works then great, if not then I’ll just find a new one. I wasn’t expecting a dramatic change but 2 weeks into using this product, I noticed that my under eye area has become lighter. The lines are also not as deep as they were before I used this product. I stopped using the Garnier eye products because I’m allergic to them so that means I’m not using any whitening products for that area. I am truly impressed with this product. I didn’t take a before and after photo as I wasn’t expecting this at ...

Alone Time

My good friend Kitten and I were supposed to go out yesterday but she had some unexpected things come up. I needed to buy some stuff as I am packing for a trip and so I went alone. I actually enjoy going out alone as much as going out with girlfriends or MB. It gives me a chance to eat whatever I like to eat and explore new restos. It’s also nice to take my time when shopping. After paying my bills, I had a late lunch at Toast Box: I love Hainanese Chicken. I sometimes cook this dish but it’s too tedious so I settle for eating out. I’m so happy that there are now restaurants that serve proper Hainanese Chicken. Well, except that one above was sooooo bloody. It was swimming in blood when I pulled the meat apart so I had it changed. You know what Gordon Ramsay says, bloody chicken is poisonous. This is the second time I ate at Toast Box and in both times, the chicken was so bloody. After lunch, I started shopping. First stop was Beabi where I bought these: The Sakura thermos on...