For the longest time, I kept products I already knew I couldn’t use.
Not because I loved them.
Because I’d paid for them.
My COSRX Advanced Snail 96 Mucin Power Essence stayed because I kept waiting for the day my skin might finally tolerate it again.
Maybe when my skin calmed down.
Maybe when the flare-ups stopped.
Maybe later.
Every so often, I’d try again.
And my skin would flare up again.
The purple moisturizer was different. That one actually worked for me for a while. Then the formula changed, and suddenly something my skin had been perfectly happy with wasn’t working anymore.
Still, I kept it.
And then there was my NARS primer.
I stopped using that a long time ago.
Yet somehow it continued living among my things, occupying its tiny piece of real estate as though we were merely on a break. 😆
Eventually I looked at all three and realized something.
I was making my skin responsible for recovering the money I’d already spent.
As though keeping the bottle made the purchase less wasted.
As though trying it one more time might somehow justify what I’d paid for it.
But the money was already gone.
I didn’t have to pay for it twice.
Once with money, and again with irritated skin, another flare-up, or the guilt of owning something I couldn’t use.
So I finally threw them away.
No waiting for the magical future version of my skin that might suddenly love them.
No keeping something simply because it used to work.
No little cosmetic graveyard of products I stopped using years ago.
They’re gone.
And strangely, throwing them away didn’t feel wasteful.
It felt like I had finally stopped asking my skin to absorb the cost of an old decision.
Sometimes letting go isn’t waste.
Sometimes it’s simply deciding you’ve already paid enough.
And my skin has already paid enough.
—-
With elegance and quiet fire,
Lady E
Founder, Glow by Lady E
An editorial space for stories, art, and intentional living

Comments
Post a Comment