Skip to main content

Making Things Easier Is Not Cheating



For years, I had this strange tendency to make things harder than they need to be.

If I can do something from scratch, shouldn’t I?

(I was possessed by Bree Van De Kamp 😑)

If I could spend another hour making it better, shouldn’t I?

If there’s a more difficult way to accomplish something, surely that must be the more legitimate way.

Except… why?

I’ve been paying more attention lately to the little systems that make my life easier.

Tools that save me steps.

Supplies kept where I actually use them.

Doing several similar tasks together instead of constantly switching gears. (Very useful in the atelier.)

Using something that’s already made instead of insisting that I create every single component myself.

Choosing the easier method simply because it is easier. (Hello, Eggo!)

None of that makes the result less valuable.

Efficiency isn’t a moral failure.

Convenience isn’t laziness.

And struggling unnecessarily doesn’t make the work more worthy.

Sometimes the smartest thing I can do is look at a task and ask:

How can I make this easier for myself?

Not because I’m incapable of doing it the hard way.

Because I don’t have anything to prove to the hard way.


Glow Girl, are you making it harder for yourself today? 

___


With elegance and quiet fire,

Lady E
Founder, Glow by Lady E
An editorial space for stories, art, and intentional living


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Soft Luxe Staycations: Binondo Series - The Great Buddha, Curated Purchases from Eng Bee Tin, and Last Thoughts About Ramada

After buying a lot of stuff on the first floor, we headed upstairs to eat a light lunch. Mom was getting hungry. My son and I just ate, but we said that we will accompany her and will just order something light. 

All About Eyes

Lately I’m finding myself obsessed with skin care products, prevention in particular. I'm not getting younger and nobody likes lines and wrinkles, right? I should have done this in my early twenties but those were hard times and we didn’t have enough to support our daily lives, let alone vanity splurges. So now, I’m on hyper mode. I did not place any expectations on this product. I’ve had it with products claiming they can do this and that. I just tried the product thinking that if it works then great, if not then I’ll just find a new one. I wasn’t expecting a dramatic change but 2 weeks into using this product, I noticed that my under eye area has become lighter. The lines are also not as deep as they were before I used this product. I stopped using the Garnier eye products because I’m allergic to them so that means I’m not using any whitening products for that area. I am truly impressed with this product. I didn’t take a before and after photo as I wasn’t expecting this at ...

Alone Time

My good friend Kitten and I were supposed to go out yesterday but she had some unexpected things come up. I needed to buy some stuff as I am packing for a trip and so I went alone. I actually enjoy going out alone as much as going out with girlfriends or MB. It gives me a chance to eat whatever I like to eat and explore new restos. It’s also nice to take my time when shopping. After paying my bills, I had a late lunch at Toast Box: I love Hainanese Chicken. I sometimes cook this dish but it’s too tedious so I settle for eating out. I’m so happy that there are now restaurants that serve proper Hainanese Chicken. Well, except that one above was sooooo bloody. It was swimming in blood when I pulled the meat apart so I had it changed. You know what Gordon Ramsay says, bloody chicken is poisonous. This is the second time I ate at Toast Box and in both times, the chicken was so bloody. After lunch, I started shopping. First stop was Beabi where I bought these: The Sakura thermos on...