Skip to main content

I Stopped Trying to Finish Everything Today



I used to look at everything I needed to do and quietly make one ridiculous assumption:

It should all be finished today.

The writing. The orders. The house. The errands. The messages. The ideas I suddenly decided were urgent simply because I had them.

And if I reached the end of the day with unfinished things?

Somehow, the unfinished things felt louder than everything I had actually accomplished.

I’ve been trying to unlearn that.

Not everything on my list belongs to today.

Some things belong to tomorrow. Some belong to next week. Some can wait until I have more energy, more information, or simply more room in my life.

That doesn’t mean I’m procrastinating.

It means I’m finally learning to distinguish between having things to do and having to do everything now.

I’ve also noticed something strange.

When I stop demanding that I finish everything, I often get more done.

It’s true! 

I noticed this one night when I was at my desk, reviewing my day. 

There is less frantic switching between tasks. Less staring at an enormous list wondering where to begin. Less exhaustion from mentally carrying work I wasn’t going to reach anyway.

I can choose what matters today.

Finish what I reasonably can.

Then leave something unfinished without turning it into evidence that I failed.

There will probably always be another thing waiting for me.

Maybe productivity was never supposed to mean reaching the mythical moment when nothing is left.

Maybe it can simply mean knowing what deserves my attention now.

And allowing tomorrow to have its share.


——


With elegance and quiet fire,


Lady E
Founder, Glow by Lady E
An editorial space for stories, art, and intentional living


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Soft Luxe Staycations: Binondo Series - The Great Buddha, Curated Purchases from Eng Bee Tin, and Last Thoughts About Ramada

After buying a lot of stuff on the first floor, we headed upstairs to eat a light lunch. Mom was getting hungry. My son and I just ate, but we said that we will accompany her and will just order something light. 

All About Eyes

Lately I’m finding myself obsessed with skin care products, prevention in particular. I'm not getting younger and nobody likes lines and wrinkles, right? I should have done this in my early twenties but those were hard times and we didn’t have enough to support our daily lives, let alone vanity splurges. So now, I’m on hyper mode. I did not place any expectations on this product. I’ve had it with products claiming they can do this and that. I just tried the product thinking that if it works then great, if not then I’ll just find a new one. I wasn’t expecting a dramatic change but 2 weeks into using this product, I noticed that my under eye area has become lighter. The lines are also not as deep as they were before I used this product. I stopped using the Garnier eye products because I’m allergic to them so that means I’m not using any whitening products for that area. I am truly impressed with this product. I didn’t take a before and after photo as I wasn’t expecting this at ...

Alone Time

My good friend Kitten and I were supposed to go out yesterday but she had some unexpected things come up. I needed to buy some stuff as I am packing for a trip and so I went alone. I actually enjoy going out alone as much as going out with girlfriends or MB. It gives me a chance to eat whatever I like to eat and explore new restos. It’s also nice to take my time when shopping. After paying my bills, I had a late lunch at Toast Box: I love Hainanese Chicken. I sometimes cook this dish but it’s too tedious so I settle for eating out. I’m so happy that there are now restaurants that serve proper Hainanese Chicken. Well, except that one above was sooooo bloody. It was swimming in blood when I pulled the meat apart so I had it changed. You know what Gordon Ramsay says, bloody chicken is poisonous. This is the second time I ate at Toast Box and in both times, the chicken was so bloody. After lunch, I started shopping. First stop was Beabi where I bought these: The Sakura thermos on...