Skip to main content

My Business Doesn’t Need Every Opportunity



For a long time, an opportunity arriving felt like something I was supposed to be grateful for.

A new project.

A collaboration.

A client request.

An event.

A new product I could make.

A new direction the business could take.

If someone wanted something from me, surely the sensible thing was to find a way to make it happen.

But I’ve learned that an opportunity can be perfectly good and still be wrong for me.

Because every yes takes something.

Time. Attention. Energy. Production capacity. Creative space. And something I need to give up. 

And sometimes the real cost isn’t visible until I’ve already said yes.

I’m learning to ask different questions now.

Not simply:

Can I do this?

But:

Do I want my business to become the kind of business that does this?

That’s a very different question.

Because I can do a lot of things.

That doesn’t mean they all deserve access to my time.

Selectivity isn’t a lack of ambition.

It’s what allows me to decide where my ambition goes.

Some opportunities will make money and still distract me from what I’m building.

Some will sound impressive and leave me exhausted or sick. 

And I don’t want that. 

Some will be wonderful opportunities for somebody else.

And some will fit so naturally into where I’m going that the answer will be obvious.

I’m no longer interested in collecting opportunities simply because they appeared.

I want to build deliberately.

My business doesn’t need every open door.

It needs me to know which ones are mine.


—-


With elegance and quiet fire,


Lady E
Founder, Glow by Lady E
An editorial space for stories, art, and intentional living


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Soft Luxe Staycations: Binondo Series - The Great Buddha, Curated Purchases from Eng Bee Tin, and Last Thoughts About Ramada

After buying a lot of stuff on the first floor, we headed upstairs to eat a light lunch. Mom was getting hungry. My son and I just ate, but we said that we will accompany her and will just order something light. 

All About Eyes

Lately I’m finding myself obsessed with skin care products, prevention in particular. I'm not getting younger and nobody likes lines and wrinkles, right? I should have done this in my early twenties but those were hard times and we didn’t have enough to support our daily lives, let alone vanity splurges. So now, I’m on hyper mode. I did not place any expectations on this product. I’ve had it with products claiming they can do this and that. I just tried the product thinking that if it works then great, if not then I’ll just find a new one. I wasn’t expecting a dramatic change but 2 weeks into using this product, I noticed that my under eye area has become lighter. The lines are also not as deep as they were before I used this product. I stopped using the Garnier eye products because I’m allergic to them so that means I’m not using any whitening products for that area. I am truly impressed with this product. I didn’t take a before and after photo as I wasn’t expecting this at ...

Alone Time

My good friend Kitten and I were supposed to go out yesterday but she had some unexpected things come up. I needed to buy some stuff as I am packing for a trip and so I went alone. I actually enjoy going out alone as much as going out with girlfriends or MB. It gives me a chance to eat whatever I like to eat and explore new restos. It’s also nice to take my time when shopping. After paying my bills, I had a late lunch at Toast Box: I love Hainanese Chicken. I sometimes cook this dish but it’s too tedious so I settle for eating out. I’m so happy that there are now restaurants that serve proper Hainanese Chicken. Well, except that one above was sooooo bloody. It was swimming in blood when I pulled the meat apart so I had it changed. You know what Gordon Ramsay says, bloody chicken is poisonous. This is the second time I ate at Toast Box and in both times, the chicken was so bloody. After lunch, I started shopping. First stop was Beabi where I bought these: The Sakura thermos on...