Skip to main content

Maybe I’m Not Behind

 



There is an invisible schedule I sometimes carry around in my head.

By this age, I should have done this.

I should already own that.

I should have reached this milestone, built that life, earned that much, figured this part out.

No one handed me this schedule. There are no deadlines printed on it. And yet somehow, it can feel very real.

It gets louder when I look at other people.

Someone is buying a house. Someone is traveling. Someone’s business is growing. Someone has reached the milestone I’m still working toward.

And suddenly, their progress becomes evidence that I am late.

But late for what?

We passed by this sculpture of fishermen recently, surrounded by the tall buildings of BGC.

The contrast struck me.

Behind them is a world measured in meetings, deadlines, promotions, targets and calendars.

But fishermen have always understood another kind of time.

The tide comes in.

The tide goes out.

There are seasons for going farther and seasons for staying close to shore.

You cannot hurry the tide because someone else’s boat left before yours.

And maybe life is a little more like that than the invisible schedule in my head would have me believe.

We compare milestones as though we are all traveling along the same road, starting from the same place, carrying the same things.

We aren’t.

Some years are for building.

Some are for recovering.

Some are for surviving things nobody else can see.

Some are for changing direction after realizing the destination we were rushing toward wasn’t ours in the first place.

And some seasons may look remarkably quiet from the outside while something important is taking shape underneath.

I’m beginning to wonder how much peace I have surrendered to the word should.

Where I should be.

What I should have accomplished.

Who I should have become by now.

Maybe I’m not behind.

Maybe there was never one timeline to fall behind in.

Maybe someone else reaching shore doesn’t mean I missed my tide.

Maybe I am simply living my own life at its own pace, and that is not something I need to apologize for.

The invisible schedule can wait.

I think I’d rather watch the tide.



—-


With elegance and quiet fire,
Lady E
Founder, Glow by Lady E
An editorial space for stories, art, and intentional living




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Soft Luxe Staycations: Binondo Series - The Great Buddha, Curated Purchases from Eng Bee Tin, and Last Thoughts About Ramada

After buying a lot of stuff on the first floor, we headed upstairs to eat a light lunch. Mom was getting hungry. My son and I just ate, but we said that we will accompany her and will just order something light. 

All About Eyes

Lately I’m finding myself obsessed with skin care products, prevention in particular. I'm not getting younger and nobody likes lines and wrinkles, right? I should have done this in my early twenties but those were hard times and we didn’t have enough to support our daily lives, let alone vanity splurges. So now, I’m on hyper mode. I did not place any expectations on this product. I’ve had it with products claiming they can do this and that. I just tried the product thinking that if it works then great, if not then I’ll just find a new one. I wasn’t expecting a dramatic change but 2 weeks into using this product, I noticed that my under eye area has become lighter. The lines are also not as deep as they were before I used this product. I stopped using the Garnier eye products because I’m allergic to them so that means I’m not using any whitening products for that area. I am truly impressed with this product. I didn’t take a before and after photo as I wasn’t expecting this at ...

Alone Time

My good friend Kitten and I were supposed to go out yesterday but she had some unexpected things come up. I needed to buy some stuff as I am packing for a trip and so I went alone. I actually enjoy going out alone as much as going out with girlfriends or MB. It gives me a chance to eat whatever I like to eat and explore new restos. It’s also nice to take my time when shopping. After paying my bills, I had a late lunch at Toast Box: I love Hainanese Chicken. I sometimes cook this dish but it’s too tedious so I settle for eating out. I’m so happy that there are now restaurants that serve proper Hainanese Chicken. Well, except that one above was sooooo bloody. It was swimming in blood when I pulled the meat apart so I had it changed. You know what Gordon Ramsay says, bloody chicken is poisonous. This is the second time I ate at Toast Box and in both times, the chicken was so bloody. After lunch, I started shopping. First stop was Beabi where I bought these: The Sakura thermos on...