Skip to main content

My Brush as My Daily Diagnostic Device

 


I don’t count the hairs that fall out of my head.

I have a much simpler system.

I look at my brush.

Most days, I brush my hair, pull out whatever has collected in the bristles and don’t think much about it.

But every now and then, there is noticeably more.

That’s when my hairbrush stops being a hairbrush and becomes a tiny daily report from my body:

Excuse me. We need to discuss some things.

For me, more hair than usual tends to coincide with periods when I haven’t been eating as well, particularly when I haven’t been getting enough protein, or when I’ve been under more stress than usual. Or I haven’t had enough sleep. 

So I pay attention.

Not obsessively. I’m not counting strands or turning my bathroom into a laboratory.

I simply take it as a cue to check in with myself.

Have I been eating properly?

Have I been getting enough protein?

Have I been pushing too hard?

Have I actually rested lately, or have I merely stopped moving while continuing to mentally run seventeen departments?

Usually, I already know the answer.

And that’s what I find useful about these little physical signals.

Sometimes my brain can argue that I’m fine.

My schedule can insist that everything is manageable.

My ambition can announce that we have plenty of fuel left.

Then my hairbrush files its report.

So I adjust.

I eat better. I make protein more deliberate. I rest. I try to reduce whatever stress I can instead of treating exhaustion as something to bulldoze through.

It isn’t a sophisticated wellness tracker.

It doesn’t sync to my phone.

It doesn’t produce graphs.

It just sits there, sparkly and pretty,  quietly reminding me to notice myself.

And sometimes that’s all the data I need.


—-


With elegance and quiet fire,

Lady E
Founder, Glow by Lady E
An editorial space for stories, art, and intentional living


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Soft Luxe Staycations: Binondo Series - The Great Buddha, Curated Purchases from Eng Bee Tin, and Last Thoughts About Ramada

After buying a lot of stuff on the first floor, we headed upstairs to eat a light lunch. Mom was getting hungry. My son and I just ate, but we said that we will accompany her and will just order something light. 

All About Eyes

Lately I’m finding myself obsessed with skin care products, prevention in particular. I'm not getting younger and nobody likes lines and wrinkles, right? I should have done this in my early twenties but those were hard times and we didn’t have enough to support our daily lives, let alone vanity splurges. So now, I’m on hyper mode. I did not place any expectations on this product. I’ve had it with products claiming they can do this and that. I just tried the product thinking that if it works then great, if not then I’ll just find a new one. I wasn’t expecting a dramatic change but 2 weeks into using this product, I noticed that my under eye area has become lighter. The lines are also not as deep as they were before I used this product. I stopped using the Garnier eye products because I’m allergic to them so that means I’m not using any whitening products for that area. I am truly impressed with this product. I didn’t take a before and after photo as I wasn’t expecting this at ...

Alone Time

My good friend Kitten and I were supposed to go out yesterday but she had some unexpected things come up. I needed to buy some stuff as I am packing for a trip and so I went alone. I actually enjoy going out alone as much as going out with girlfriends or MB. It gives me a chance to eat whatever I like to eat and explore new restos. It’s also nice to take my time when shopping. After paying my bills, I had a late lunch at Toast Box: I love Hainanese Chicken. I sometimes cook this dish but it’s too tedious so I settle for eating out. I’m so happy that there are now restaurants that serve proper Hainanese Chicken. Well, except that one above was sooooo bloody. It was swimming in blood when I pulled the meat apart so I had it changed. You know what Gordon Ramsay says, bloody chicken is poisonous. This is the second time I ate at Toast Box and in both times, the chicken was so bloody. After lunch, I started shopping. First stop was Beabi where I bought these: The Sakura thermos on...