Skip to main content

The Permission to Heal Slowly

My son practicing gentle healing with his plushies by sleeping as much as he wants. 
And can we take a moment to appreciate our shark, Maxie’s pose? It’s like he’s posing for GQ - Shark Edition. I didn’t pose him. I found him like this that’s why I took the photo. 


Healing is not another deadline.

We are so used to measuring progress that we try to measure healing, too.

How many days has it been?

Shouldn’t I feel better by now?

Why am I still tired?

Why can’t I do what I used to do?

At some point, even healing becomes another task we think we are failing to complete on time.

But perhaps healing was never meant to work that way.


I have a habit of turning everything into a project.

There is always something to finish, something to improve, something I should already be better at.

Apparently, I do this with healing, too.

I noticed it recently because I kept thinking about when I would be back to normal. When would I have my old energy again? When would I stop needing so much rest? When could I go through a whole day without having to negotiate with my own body?

I was treating healing like another item on my list.

And I was getting annoyed because it was taking too long.

The funny thing is, I’m not even sure what too long means.

Too long according to whom?

We have different bodies, different demands, different lifestyles, different environments. 

One’s timeline is not the same as mine. 

There are mornings when I wake up and my body very clearly wants more sleep. But there is a clock beside me saying that I have slept enough.

So I get up.

Or at least, I used to.

Lately, I have been learning to listen to the other answer.

Sometimes I go back to sleep.

Sometimes I lie there doing absolutely nothing.

Sometimes I spend far longer than necessary under blankets and pillows and, apparently, an unreasonable population of plushies, like my son. 

And I am beginning to think that this counts, too.

Gentle healing, for me, has become less about doing the right things to heal and more about giving myself permission to need what I need for as long as I need it.

Not only physically.

There are days when my mind feels tired before my body does. Days when I don’t want another conversation, another decision, another thing asking something from me.

So I retreat.

I make things. I play music. I wander around a mall. I write. I sleep. I sit quietly with people I love.

And sometimes I do nothing particularly useful at all.

That last one has probably been the hardest.

I am very good at giving rest a purpose.

I’ll rest now so I can work later.

That still makes rest part of the productivity machine.

I’m trying to learn another kind.

I’ll rest because I’m tired.

Full stop.

No promise that I will compensate for it later.

Maybe that is what I have been missing.

Healing does not have to hurry simply because I am impatient.

My body does not know about my schedule.

My heart certainly does not care about my deadlines.

And perhaps neither of them needs another person standing over them asking, Are we there yet?

So I am trying something gentler.

I am letting healing take the time it takes.

And if today requires another hour under the blankets?

The clock will survive.


Welcome to Issue 04: Gentle Healing

We will do things differently this time. Stay close. 

—-


With elegance and quiet fire,
Lady E


Founder, Glow by Lady E 
An editorial space for stories, art, and intentional living



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Soft Luxe Staycations: Binondo Series - The Great Buddha, Curated Purchases from Eng Bee Tin, and Last Thoughts About Ramada

After buying a lot of stuff on the first floor, we headed upstairs to eat a light lunch. Mom was getting hungry. My son and I just ate, but we said that we will accompany her and will just order something light. 

All About Eyes

Lately I’m finding myself obsessed with skin care products, prevention in particular. I'm not getting younger and nobody likes lines and wrinkles, right? I should have done this in my early twenties but those were hard times and we didn’t have enough to support our daily lives, let alone vanity splurges. So now, I’m on hyper mode. I did not place any expectations on this product. I’ve had it with products claiming they can do this and that. I just tried the product thinking that if it works then great, if not then I’ll just find a new one. I wasn’t expecting a dramatic change but 2 weeks into using this product, I noticed that my under eye area has become lighter. The lines are also not as deep as they were before I used this product. I stopped using the Garnier eye products because I’m allergic to them so that means I’m not using any whitening products for that area. I am truly impressed with this product. I didn’t take a before and after photo as I wasn’t expecting this at ...

Alone Time

My good friend Kitten and I were supposed to go out yesterday but she had some unexpected things come up. I needed to buy some stuff as I am packing for a trip and so I went alone. I actually enjoy going out alone as much as going out with girlfriends or MB. It gives me a chance to eat whatever I like to eat and explore new restos. It’s also nice to take my time when shopping. After paying my bills, I had a late lunch at Toast Box: I love Hainanese Chicken. I sometimes cook this dish but it’s too tedious so I settle for eating out. I’m so happy that there are now restaurants that serve proper Hainanese Chicken. Well, except that one above was sooooo bloody. It was swimming in blood when I pulled the meat apart so I had it changed. You know what Gordon Ramsay says, bloody chicken is poisonous. This is the second time I ate at Toast Box and in both times, the chicken was so bloody. After lunch, I started shopping. First stop was Beabi where I bought these: The Sakura thermos on...