Skip to main content

From the Editor’s Desk: What Makes Me Feel Alive

 



Dear Glow Girls,


Thank you for being on this journey with me starting with 

Issue 01: Background Noise

Issue 02: Beautiful Things

And now we’re here, Issue 03: Fun & Flirty.

The past few months have been an emotional journey for me. 

It still is. 


After being treated like background noise, discovering beautiful things again, I now ask this question -

What makes me feel alive again?


For the past two months, it’s painting. 

I’ve always been an artist, but painting is different. 

I’ve dabbled with jewelry design and making and other forms of art, but I’ve never considered myself a brush artist. 

My son is. 

And I remember watching him during his painting lessons and wishing I could hold the brush, too.

It took many years to find the courage to hold a brush. 

I didn’t know why. 

I still don’t know why I was so scared to just paint. 

Today, I can produce 4 paintings in one afternoon. 

And I find pleasure in admiring my work after, not caring if it’s perfect or correct. 

It’s my painting. 

My hand made that. 

And that’s the most important thing. 

And that is enough.


I’ve also started reading fiction again, as you may have seen in the last issue and in this present issue. Not a lot. But it’s a start. 

I remember spending whole days (not just afternoons) with a book when I was a teenager up to my 20s. I could finish at least 3 books in a week. 

And then life happened.


I’ve recently re-discovered the joy of makeup. 

As some of you may know, I’m a trained MUA. 

But ever since my skin became like this (red, rashy, itchy, dry) because of medicine side effects from misdiagnosed autoimmune diseases, I’ve developed a love-hate relationship with makeup. 

I couldn’t look at makeup for the longest time because I felt like my skin betrayed me. And makeup was its accomplice. 

But now.. exhales..

I am in love with makeup again. 

I started flirting sometime last year and now I’m in a relationship with it again. 


Music remains to be a source of delight and comfort. 

Music plays a big part in my DNA. 

I come from a musical family with Filipino composer Ariston Avelino being my grand uncle. 

Music helps me get into the right headspace to write. 


Creating gives me a sense of purpose. 

Especially when I made those orders that required my paintings that I featured in From the Atelier. 

I never imagined that I will get my paintings commissioned on products when I’ve only started painting two months ago. 

Oh, the joy of seeing and touching my paintings come alive on a planner or notepad and then knowing that these little creations of mine will be part of someone’s day. 

Oh, the joy. 


And of course, writing.

Writing makes me feel alive. 

It allows me to experience all the emotions in a single written piece. 

It allows me to process feelings whether in a systematic or chaotic way. 

Writing is at my core. 

And turning Glow by Lady E and Lady E Eats into online editorial platforms has been one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. 

Yes, I am a writer through and through. 


At first, I also wanted to explore why I stopped feeling alive. 

But after writing this, I don’t think I want to go there anymore. 

Not today. 

Not in this space. 

There will be a season for that. 


Smaller things that make me feel alive are -

Shopping, of course! 

But shopping meaningfully, intelligently. 

Shopping with a purpose. 

And going out with my son. 

And I’m delighted because now my son can help me carry the bags! 

I know! It’s such a small thing, but seeing my son get a bag from me makes my heart swell with pride. 

Having my little systems at home have also helped to give me more time to focus on my passions. 


This issue is for the ladies who have forgotten what makes them feel alive or are currently searching for what makes them feel alive. 

It’s for the ladies who are currently having fun and flirting with life. You remind us to be young at heart again. 


As I wrote this issue, I found that life never stopped flirting with me.

I was just ignoring it. 

Not anymore. 

Go ahead, life! Flirt all you want. Let’s see what part of you I develop a crush on.. 

And maybe, I’ll develop a relationship or two..or three out of it. 


As you read this issue, remember to have fun, Glow Girl! And to flirt. With life, with love, with joy, with opportunities, with the little things that life offers you. 

Always. 


—-


With elegance and quiet fire,
Lady E


Founder, Glow by Lady E 
An editorial space for stories, art, and intentional living


 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Soft Luxe Travels: Day 1 - The Journey to Vigan Part 1

In this post, we will start our journey to Vigan! The Night Before After packing our things, I did a few things for myself to help me relax and decompress so that I can sleep. I'm a night owl and not used to waking up early nor sleeping early, so I have to be strategic.  I painted my nails that night after all my chores, so that the nail polish wouldn't chip.  However, I forgot that I needed to make pressed sandwiches for our breakfast the following day!  Because really, what’s a road trip mom without freshly painted nails and a last-minute kitchen hustle? 😂 So, I had to do a lot of washing and hoped for the best that my nail polish will not chip! Luncheon meat, eggs, Kewpie Trust me, it tastes better than it sounds at 11 PM while trying not to chip your polish. That night, we also tried the Ube Halaya from Amira's. This was from our trip to Tagaytay . I'll try to make a review of this on my food blog . With everything prepped, I finally let myself drift off—half excit...

Alone Time

My good friend Kitten and I were supposed to go out yesterday but she had some unexpected things come up. I needed to buy some stuff as I am packing for a trip and so I went alone. I actually enjoy going out alone as much as going out with girlfriends or MB. It gives me a chance to eat whatever I like to eat and explore new restos. It’s also nice to take my time when shopping. After paying my bills, I had a late lunch at Toast Box: I love Hainanese Chicken. I sometimes cook this dish but it’s too tedious so I settle for eating out. I’m so happy that there are now restaurants that serve proper Hainanese Chicken. Well, except that one above was sooooo bloody. It was swimming in blood when I pulled the meat apart so I had it changed. You know what Gordon Ramsay says, bloody chicken is poisonous. This is the second time I ate at Toast Box and in both times, the chicken was so bloody. After lunch, I started shopping. First stop was Beabi where I bought these: The Sakura thermos on...

Holiday State of Mind

  Sometimes, a quick escape is all it takes to reset the spirit. Tagaytay always gives me that holiday state of mind… Even a short drive can feel like a retreat when your heart is ready to embrace rest. My son successfully finished his recital last Sunday and as a reward, my sister treated us to Tagaytay yesterday.  Getting Ready for the Trip I decided to use my BYS Golden Hour Palette for today's look. Makeup, for me, is part of the ritual—it sets the tone that today is special. Here are the swatches: From top to bottom: Polaroid, Candid, Aperture, In Focus, Portrait, Panoramic In Focus is slightly wet, like something between a liquid and cream eyeshadow. The color is gorgeous! I love Panoramic, too! Polaroid is a bit chalky and not as pigmented as the shadows in the Queen Bee Palette.  Here are the face shades: Highlighter: Illumination Contour: Ambiance I haven't tried Illumination yet, only Ambiance. I used it on top of my BYS Bronzer. It's a buildable powder, a littl...