Sometimes I dress for where I’m going.
Sometimes I dress for the weather.
And sometimes, I dress because I bought a new skirt and I want to wear it. Simple as that. 😏
This was one of those days.
We were going to Power Plant, but first we had to stop at Greenbelt. I needed to pick up my shoes and get something for Mom at Dior before heading over.
It was a warm day. Not unbearably hot, but warm enough that I didn’t want anything heavy clinging to me while we walked around.
And I had this new skirt.
It’s from the Uniqlo x Francesco Risso collaboration, and what first got me was the print.
The flowers aren’t perfect flowers.
They aren’t carefully drawn petals arranged exactly where petals are supposed to go. They’re an artist’s idea of flowers. Loose. Imperfect. A little abstract.
They remind me of the way I paint.
Maybe that’s why I liked them.
I wanted to feel pretty.
But not pretty-pretty.
You know what I mean?
I didn’t want to look particularly dressed up. I wasn’t going anywhere that required it. I just wanted that easy kind of pretty where you put something on and immediately feel a little lighter.
The skirt did that.
The fabric isn’t thick, so it moves easily and lets air through. It was exactly what I wanted for a warm afternoon of walking from one place to another.
I paired it with a navy top with a knot detail on one shoulder and my favorite juttis from India.
The ones I wrote about in Issue 02: Beautiful Things.
I still love them.
And they have now crossed over into another issue because beautiful things are allowed recurring roles around here. 😏
The skirt was the mood.
That’s really all there was to it.
I wasn’t building an Outfit™.
I didn’t stand in front of my closet trying to create a look.
I wanted to wear the new skirt.
I wanted to feel pretty.
I was in a red and blue mood. Not particularly sad, not particularly very happy either.
I wanted something airy enough for the weather and comfortable enough for an afternoon at the mall.
So I put it on.
And everything else followed.
Maybe getting dressed doesn’t always need more thought than that.
Sometimes one thing tells you exactly how you want to feel that day.
That afternoon, it was a skirt covered in imperfect little flowers.
And that was enough.
—-
With elegance and quiet fire,
Lady E
Founder, Glow by Lady E
An editorial space for stories, art, and intentional living

Comments
Post a Comment