Skip to main content

Used to the Last Drop

 There are products I like.

There are products I love.

And then there are the products I use until there is practically nothing left to photograph.

These are those products.

I realized recently that some of the best reviews I could give you aren’t reviews at all.

They’re empty bottles.

Scraped jars.

Crushed sachets.

Packaging that has been handled so often that it no longer looks particularly photogenic.

Because I can tell you that I like a product.

But when I’ve used every last bit of it?

That’s evidence.

Dior Le Baume



I received this little sachet of Dior Le Baume and apparently decided that not one molecule was going to escape me.

I squeezed it.

Folded it.

Pressed it.

Then probably squeezed it again just in case the laws of physics had changed since the last attempt.

There wasn’t much product to begin with, but my hands only needed a small amount so this lasted a few days. 

I also enjoyed what was there enough to make sure I got all of it.

And really, isn’t that the point of a sample?

It made me want more.


Dior Forever Skin Glow



Now this one has lived a life.

Look at that bottle.

The packaging is battered. It doesn’t look remotely like something that just came home from the Dior counter.

And that’s good.

Because it didn’t sit prettily on my vanity.

I used it.

Again and again.

There are foundations I experiment with, foundations I tolerate, and foundations I instinctively reach for when I don’t want to think too much about my makeup.

This became one of those.

The bottle may have lost some of its glamour along the way.

I think that makes it prettier.

I commented to my Dior Beauty Ambassador that the bottle was able to pump out everything!

I opened the bottle and actually shook it and tapped it on the table and then on my hand, but nothing came out! 

I even went as far as flashing a light on the inside to make sure that I got everything. 😆

Yeah, I did. 


Deoproce Skin Rescue Body Serum



Another bottle that reached the stage where I started wondering whether I could persuade the pump to surrender just a little bit more.

Pump.

Nothing.

Tilt.

Pump.

Shake.

Pump.

I know you’re in there.

There is something slightly ridiculous about negotiating with an almost-empty bottle, but you only do it when you actually want what’s left inside.

And I did.

But not for long. 

Because I don’t waste my time anymore on that. 


The Green Body Scrub



And then there’s this.

I didn’t just finish the jar.

I excavated it.

There is a tiny spatula in there because apparently fingers were no longer precise enough for the archaeological operation I had undertaken.

And the jar also came with it. 😏

Scrape around the sides.

Scrape along the bottom.

Check under the rim.

Surely there’s enough for one more shower.

The funny thing is, I bought several of these body scrubs. Pink and green, lined up in their pretty little tubs.



But the green one?

Clearly, I had a favorite.

There isn’t much left to say when the photograph contains an almost perfectly scraped-clean jar.

I liked it.

A lot.


The Good Stuff Is Meant to Be Used

I used to have a tendency to save things I really liked.

The expensive makeup.

The pretty products.

The little luxuries that somehow felt too special for an ordinary day.

I’ll use it later.

I’ll save it for when I’m going somewhere.

I’ll keep this one because it’s expensive.

And then one day, when I finally want to use it, I find out that it has already expired. 

A few times of this happening and somewhere along the way, I started asking myself:

What exactly am I saving it for?

Things expire.

Preferences change.

And sometimes the beautiful thing you’ve been carefully preserving for someday simply sits there while all those ordinary days pass by.

So now I use things.

I wear the lipstick.

I open the expensive compact.

I use the good foundation even when I’m not going anywhere particularly interesting.

I scoop the body scrub generously instead of rationing it.

And if I love something, I keep using it until eventually I’m standing there with a tiny spatula, scraping the bottom of the jar like there might be buried treasure underneath.

Because there was.

The treasure was enjoying it.

Maybe that’s one small part of making life more fun.

Stop saving every lovely thing for some hypothetical better day.

Thursday mall time can have the nice foundation.

A shower can have the favorite body scrub.

An ordinary morning can have the expensive balm.

Use what delights you.

Enjoy what you have.

Make a glorious mess of the packaging.

And when you finally reach the bottom, you won’t have to wonder whether you got your money’s worth.

You’ll know.

Beautiful things aren’t meant to spend their lives waiting for an occasion worthy of them.

Sometimes using them is the occasion. 


—-


With elegance and quiet fire,
Lady E


Founder, Glow by Lady E 
An editorial space for stories, art, and intentional living



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Soft Luxe Travels: Day 1 - The Journey to Vigan Part 1

In this post, we will start our journey to Vigan! The Night Before After packing our things, I did a few things for myself to help me relax and decompress so that I can sleep. I'm a night owl and not used to waking up early nor sleeping early, so I have to be strategic.  I painted my nails that night after all my chores, so that the nail polish wouldn't chip.  However, I forgot that I needed to make pressed sandwiches for our breakfast the following day!  Because really, what’s a road trip mom without freshly painted nails and a last-minute kitchen hustle? 😂 So, I had to do a lot of washing and hoped for the best that my nail polish will not chip! Luncheon meat, eggs, Kewpie Trust me, it tastes better than it sounds at 11 PM while trying not to chip your polish. That night, we also tried the Ube Halaya from Amira's. This was from our trip to Tagaytay . I'll try to make a review of this on my food blog . With everything prepped, I finally let myself drift off—half excit...

Alone Time

My good friend Kitten and I were supposed to go out yesterday but she had some unexpected things come up. I needed to buy some stuff as I am packing for a trip and so I went alone. I actually enjoy going out alone as much as going out with girlfriends or MB. It gives me a chance to eat whatever I like to eat and explore new restos. It’s also nice to take my time when shopping. After paying my bills, I had a late lunch at Toast Box: I love Hainanese Chicken. I sometimes cook this dish but it’s too tedious so I settle for eating out. I’m so happy that there are now restaurants that serve proper Hainanese Chicken. Well, except that one above was sooooo bloody. It was swimming in blood when I pulled the meat apart so I had it changed. You know what Gordon Ramsay says, bloody chicken is poisonous. This is the second time I ate at Toast Box and in both times, the chicken was so bloody. After lunch, I started shopping. First stop was Beabi where I bought these: The Sakura thermos on...

Holiday State of Mind

  Sometimes, a quick escape is all it takes to reset the spirit. Tagaytay always gives me that holiday state of mind… Even a short drive can feel like a retreat when your heart is ready to embrace rest. My son successfully finished his recital last Sunday and as a reward, my sister treated us to Tagaytay yesterday.  Getting Ready for the Trip I decided to use my BYS Golden Hour Palette for today's look. Makeup, for me, is part of the ritual—it sets the tone that today is special. Here are the swatches: From top to bottom: Polaroid, Candid, Aperture, In Focus, Portrait, Panoramic In Focus is slightly wet, like something between a liquid and cream eyeshadow. The color is gorgeous! I love Panoramic, too! Polaroid is a bit chalky and not as pigmented as the shadows in the Queen Bee Palette.  Here are the face shades: Highlighter: Illumination Contour: Ambiance I haven't tried Illumination yet, only Ambiance. I used it on top of my BYS Bronzer. It's a buildable powder, a littl...