Skip to main content

I Stopped Auditioning for My Own Life

 


How many women wait until they’re thinner, richer, prettier, or more successful before allowing themselves to enjoy life?

I was one of those women. 

I’ll wait ‘til I buy this for my son before treating myself. 

I’ll wait to finish all the orders before I rest. 

I’ll wait until my face clears up before I wear a blush. 


This journey is teaching me a lot of things. 

And one of those things is that I don’t need to earn delight. 

I stopped auditioning the day I realized life wasn’t a panel of judges.

No one was holding up scorecards.

The only person waiting for me… was me.


And that was a big revelation to me. 

It was like one of those moments where you go, “why didn’t I think of that sooner”


Yeah.. Why didn’t I think of that sooner?


I was programmed through circumstances over the years to put myself last. 

I guess there’s also that part of society that tells you to think of others first. 

I grew up that way. 

Serve others first. 

So I did. 

And slowly but surely, my cup emptied. 


And you know what?

Once your cup empties, it’s so hard to fill it back up. 

I had a hard time because first, how do I fill my cup again?

After years of losing myself to serving others, I didn’t know the first thing to putting something into my cup, much more filling it. 

Like what do I even put into my cup?


Second, I felt guilty when I put myself first. 

Third, making change after many years of old habits just feels wrong…yucky even. 

Like I could physically feel it crawling on my skin. 


I’m not saying anyone should be self-centered or selfish. 

I’m asking, how can you give when your cup is empty?


One day, I found myself sick, exhausted, empty - physically, emotionally, mentally. 

Then I looked at my young son and said, he deserves better. 

I deserve better. 


So I flirted with the idea of playing hooky. 

What if I didn’t do the laundry today?

What if I didn’t cook dinner and just ordered in?

And it felt good. 


Every what if earned me a moment of rest, of respite, of play. 

And it did wonders for my overall health and wellness. 

I kept doing this until one day, I wasn’t flirting anymore. 

I was totally committed. 

Committed to stop waiting, to stop carrying others when I couldn’t even carry myself anymore, to stop worrying about other adults’ lives. 

And started committing to my own health, my own joy, my own peace. 


So I stopped auditioning for my own life. 

And you know what? I’m in a much better place now. 

And it feels good. 

Now hand me that blush. I’ll color my cheeks even though they’re already red from a histamine flare.  😏



—-


With elegance and quiet fire,
Lady E


Founder, Glow by Lady E 
An editorial space for stories, art, and intentional living




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Soft Luxe Staycations: Binondo Series - The Great Buddha, Curated Purchases from Eng Bee Tin, and Last Thoughts About Ramada

After buying a lot of stuff on the first floor, we headed upstairs to eat a light lunch. Mom was getting hungry. My son and I just ate, but we said that we will accompany her and will just order something light. 

All About Eyes

Lately I’m finding myself obsessed with skin care products, prevention in particular. I'm not getting younger and nobody likes lines and wrinkles, right? I should have done this in my early twenties but those were hard times and we didn’t have enough to support our daily lives, let alone vanity splurges. So now, I’m on hyper mode. I did not place any expectations on this product. I’ve had it with products claiming they can do this and that. I just tried the product thinking that if it works then great, if not then I’ll just find a new one. I wasn’t expecting a dramatic change but 2 weeks into using this product, I noticed that my under eye area has become lighter. The lines are also not as deep as they were before I used this product. I stopped using the Garnier eye products because I’m allergic to them so that means I’m not using any whitening products for that area. I am truly impressed with this product. I didn’t take a before and after photo as I wasn’t expecting this at ...

When You Need a Tiny Reset (Glow Cards Are Here)

The shade is actually a dusty mauve or muted orchid. It looks blue on the image, but it's not blue.  There are days when I don’t need a full day off — I just need a moment. A tiny reset. A quiet pause in the swirl of noise. That’s how Glow Cards were born.