Skip to main content

I Have a Tote for Every Kind of Day


 

I have a tote for every kind of day.

Apparently.

I didn’t intentionally create a tote system. It just happened.

There are days when I know I’m going to be out for hours. There are piano days. There are long mall days when I want enough space for everything I might need, plus whatever inevitably comes home with me. 

And I’m a mom. I like being prepared. 


And then there are days when I’m just popping into a few stores.

Those days get this bag.

It’s small, pink, ridiculously cute, and has a chubby cat drinking coffee on the front.

Obviously, I bought it.

But despite its size, it carries a surprising amount of stuff.

The bag changes. The system doesn’t.

If you’ve seen my other What’s in My Bag posts, you already know that I like pouches.

Lots of pouches.

Pouches inside bags. Smaller pouches inside bigger pouches. Things grouped according to purpose because apparently my ADHD brain would like my belongings filed into tiny portable departments.

I call it my Matryoshka Pouch System™.

And I stand by it. 😂

Because look inside this little bag.



It looks full, but I know where everything is.

I don’t have to dig through the entire bag looking for one tiny thing hiding somewhere at the bottom. I know which pouch it lives in.

Son goes, “Mom, I’m hungry.”

Lavender pouch.

Done.

There is a method to this tiny pink madness.

This is my short-shopping-trip bag.

I actually enjoy taking my time when I shop.

If I’m going to the mall properly, I can happily spend most of the day wandering around, looking at things, checking several stores, stopping for food and discovering something I absolutely did not go there to buy.

Those days need a bigger bag.

But sometimes I’m not shopping-shopping.

Maybe I only need to visit one store. Maybe two or three stores that are close to each other. I already know what I’m looking for, and I don’t plan on staying very long.

I don’t need to carry my entire day with me.

So I bring this.

Just the things I and my son actually need, edited down into a smaller bag.

And I think that’s why I’ve ended up with different bags for different kinds of days.

It isn’t really about matching my outfit.

Okay.

Sometimes it is. 😏

But mostly, it’s about how I want the day to feel.

I don’t want to carry more than the day requires.

A long day needs options.

A short day needs less.

And somewhere along the way, I stopped thinking that one bag had to work for everything.

Why should it?

The things I need when I’m going to be out for eight hours are completely different from what I need when I’m running into a couple of stores and coming straight home.

So instead of carrying everything just in case, I change bags.

My essentials change.

My pouches change.

Sometimes even the things I consider essential change.

The bag fits the day instead of making the day fit the bag.

And yes, this means I have several bags with very specific jobs.

I see absolutely no problem here. 😂

Especially when one of them has a coffee-drinking cat on it.

Maybe that’s the fun of it.

There’s something satisfying about choosing the right bag before I leave.

Not the fanciest one.

Not necessarily the prettiest one.

The one that makes sense for the version of the day I’m about to have.

Big tote for a long wandering day.

Medium tote for piano and a little mall time.

Tiny pink cat bag for a quick shopping mission.

Different day.

Different bag.

Same Matryoshka Pouch System™ inside.

Obviously. 😏


—-


With elegance and quiet fire,
Lady E


Founder, Glow by Lady E 
An editorial space for stories, art, and intentional living


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Soul Notes: For Your Journal Tonight

Come sit with me for a while. I have my journal open, and tonight I’ve been thinking about something I suspect I do more often than I realize. I turn healing into another thing I need to accomplish. I want to know when I’ll be over something. When I’ll stop thinking about it. When something that hurt will finally stop hurting. When I’ll feel like myself again. And somewhere along the way, healing quietly becomes another deadline. Another invisible date on a calendar. Another thing I can somehow be late for. But maybe healing doesn’t work particularly well under project management. Maybe there are things I will understand quickly and things I’ll have to revisit again and again. Maybe I’ll feel completely fine one day and unexpectedly tender the next. That doesn’t mean I’ve gone backwards. It means I’m still moving through it. I remember one day, many years ago, when I had fibromyalgia. I lived in constant pain. I just couldn’t get a good day. And then one day, in the office...

Part 1: I Finally Had Enough of My Dry Feet and Did Something About It

  I have been annoyed with my feet for months. Not because there was anything particularly wrong with them. They were just dry . Really dry. And you know I have a problem with dryness (hello skin, lips). And somehow, despite noticing this constantly, I kept doing absolutely nothing about it. The moment that gets me every time is when I’m waiting for my son at piano class. I’ll sit down, cross my legs, look down at my slip-ons or sandals and there they are. My dry, flaky feet. Then I become painfully aware that there are other people sitting beside me who can probably see them too. 😂 Every time, I think, I really need to do something about this. And then piano class ends, life resumes, and apparently my feet are no longer part of my jurisdiction. Eventually, I had enough. I found this Mond’Sub Chamomile Foot Peeling Spray at KKV and decided that my poor neglected feet were finally getting some attention. The process wasn’t glamorous. There was peeling skin involved. There were bits...

Used to the Last Drop: The Ones I’d Already Told You About

  There’s something particularly satisfying about finishing a product you’ve already written about. Not testing it. Not forming first impressions. Not wondering whether I’ll still like it three weeks from now. Finished. My Molang Honey sheet masks and this body scrub both made it all the way to the end. (Finally for the Molang sheet masks, right?) I’ve reviewed both before, so I won’t review them all over again here. But perhaps using something until there is nothing left to use is its own kind of review. Beauty products come through my bathroom rather frequently. Some are lovely for a week. Some get pushed to the back of a shelf. Some simply stop working for me. And then there are the ones that quietly disappear because I kept reaching for them. Maybe an empty container is the shortest review of all. I liked it enough to finish it. If you want to read my thought about these products, just type them on my search bar. —- With elegance and quiet fire, Lady E Founder, Glow by Lady E...