Skip to main content

I Have a Tote for Every Kind of Day


 

I have a tote for every kind of day.

Apparently.

I didn’t intentionally create a tote system. It just happened.

There are days when I know I’m going to be out for hours. There are piano days. There are long mall days when I want enough space for everything I might need, plus whatever inevitably comes home with me. 

And I’m a mom. I like being prepared. 


And then there are days when I’m just popping into a few stores.

Those days get this bag.

It’s small, pink, ridiculously cute, and has a chubby cat drinking coffee on the front.

Obviously, I bought it.

But despite its size, it carries a surprising amount of stuff.

The bag changes. The system doesn’t.

If you’ve seen my other What’s in My Bag posts, you already know that I like pouches.

Lots of pouches.

Pouches inside bags. Smaller pouches inside bigger pouches. Things grouped according to purpose because apparently my ADHD brain would like my belongings filed into tiny portable departments.

I call it my Matryoshka Pouch System™.

And I stand by it. 😂

Because look inside this little bag.



It looks full, but I know where everything is.

I don’t have to dig through the entire bag looking for one tiny thing hiding somewhere at the bottom. I know which pouch it lives in.

Son goes, “Mom, I’m hungry.”

Lavender pouch.

Done.

There is a method to this tiny pink madness.

This is my short-shopping-trip bag.

I actually enjoy taking my time when I shop.

If I’m going to the mall properly, I can happily spend most of the day wandering around, looking at things, checking several stores, stopping for food and discovering something I absolutely did not go there to buy.

Those days need a bigger bag.

But sometimes I’m not shopping-shopping.

Maybe I only need to visit one store. Maybe two or three stores that are close to each other. I already know what I’m looking for, and I don’t plan on staying very long.

I don’t need to carry my entire day with me.

So I bring this.

Just the things I and my son actually need, edited down into a smaller bag.

And I think that’s why I’ve ended up with different bags for different kinds of days.

It isn’t really about matching my outfit.

Okay.

Sometimes it is. 😏

But mostly, it’s about how I want the day to feel.

I don’t want to carry more than the day requires.

A long day needs options.

A short day needs less.

And somewhere along the way, I stopped thinking that one bag had to work for everything.

Why should it?

The things I need when I’m going to be out for eight hours are completely different from what I need when I’m running into a couple of stores and coming straight home.

So instead of carrying everything just in case, I change bags.

My essentials change.

My pouches change.

Sometimes even the things I consider essential change.

The bag fits the day instead of making the day fit the bag.

And yes, this means I have several bags with very specific jobs.

I see absolutely no problem here. 😂

Especially when one of them has a coffee-drinking cat on it.

Maybe that’s the fun of it.

There’s something satisfying about choosing the right bag before I leave.

Not the fanciest one.

Not necessarily the prettiest one.

The one that makes sense for the version of the day I’m about to have.

Big tote for a long wandering day.

Medium tote for piano and a little mall time.

Tiny pink cat bag for a quick shopping mission.

Different day.

Different bag.

Same Matryoshka Pouch System™ inside.

Obviously. 😏


—-


With elegance and quiet fire,
Lady E


Founder, Glow by Lady E 
An editorial space for stories, art, and intentional living


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Soft Luxe Travels: Day 1 - The Journey to Vigan Part 1

In this post, we will start our journey to Vigan! The Night Before After packing our things, I did a few things for myself to help me relax and decompress so that I can sleep. I'm a night owl and not used to waking up early nor sleeping early, so I have to be strategic.  I painted my nails that night after all my chores, so that the nail polish wouldn't chip.  However, I forgot that I needed to make pressed sandwiches for our breakfast the following day!  Because really, what’s a road trip mom without freshly painted nails and a last-minute kitchen hustle? 😂 So, I had to do a lot of washing and hoped for the best that my nail polish will not chip! Luncheon meat, eggs, Kewpie Trust me, it tastes better than it sounds at 11 PM while trying not to chip your polish. That night, we also tried the Ube Halaya from Amira's. This was from our trip to Tagaytay . I'll try to make a review of this on my food blog . With everything prepped, I finally let myself drift off—half excit...

Alone Time

My good friend Kitten and I were supposed to go out yesterday but she had some unexpected things come up. I needed to buy some stuff as I am packing for a trip and so I went alone. I actually enjoy going out alone as much as going out with girlfriends or MB. It gives me a chance to eat whatever I like to eat and explore new restos. It’s also nice to take my time when shopping. After paying my bills, I had a late lunch at Toast Box: I love Hainanese Chicken. I sometimes cook this dish but it’s too tedious so I settle for eating out. I’m so happy that there are now restaurants that serve proper Hainanese Chicken. Well, except that one above was sooooo bloody. It was swimming in blood when I pulled the meat apart so I had it changed. You know what Gordon Ramsay says, bloody chicken is poisonous. This is the second time I ate at Toast Box and in both times, the chicken was so bloody. After lunch, I started shopping. First stop was Beabi where I bought these: The Sakura thermos on...

Holiday State of Mind

  Sometimes, a quick escape is all it takes to reset the spirit. Tagaytay always gives me that holiday state of mind… Even a short drive can feel like a retreat when your heart is ready to embrace rest. My son successfully finished his recital last Sunday and as a reward, my sister treated us to Tagaytay yesterday.  Getting Ready for the Trip I decided to use my BYS Golden Hour Palette for today's look. Makeup, for me, is part of the ritual—it sets the tone that today is special. Here are the swatches: From top to bottom: Polaroid, Candid, Aperture, In Focus, Portrait, Panoramic In Focus is slightly wet, like something between a liquid and cream eyeshadow. The color is gorgeous! I love Panoramic, too! Polaroid is a bit chalky and not as pigmented as the shadows in the Queen Bee Palette.  Here are the face shades: Highlighter: Illumination Contour: Ambiance I haven't tried Illumination yet, only Ambiance. I used it on top of my BYS Bronzer. It's a buildable powder, a littl...