I used to choose things because they’re pretty or affordable, but I end up hurt.
Like two brands of slippers that shall not be named.
Now I choose things that are kind to my body.
Soft, supportive, gentle.
Especially after my foot ached for better.
I think I’m learning to apply that standard to more things.
Pretty is lovely.
Fun is lovely.
And I will probably always be drawn to something that sparkles.
But I don’t think beauty should require me to tolerate discomfort just to keep it around.
That applies to something as small as a pair of slippers.
Or a hairbrush.
This new brush is still glittery.
Still pretty.
Still something that makes me smile when I see it sitting with my things.
But it also feels good.
The bristles glide through my hair without scratching my scalp or catching strands between broken tips.
It does what a hairbrush is supposed to do without asking me to endure something first.
And maybe that’s one of the quieter forms of self-respect.
Not denying myself beautiful things.
Not becoming purely practical.
Not deciding that wanting something pretty is somehow frivolous.
Just raising the standard.
I want the pretty thing and the gentle thing.
The fun thing and the comfortable thing.
I don’t have to choose between them anymore.
And if something stops being kind to me, I’m learning that I’m allowed to let it go.
Even if I once loved it.
Even if it still looks beautiful.
Even if technically, I could keep using it.
I still like pretty things.
I just don’t choose ones that hurt anymore.
—-
With elegance and quiet fire,
Lady E
Founder, Glow by Lady E
An editorial space for stories, art, and intentional living


Comments
Post a Comment